It is never too early (or too late) to get your children helping in the kitchen. Although it requires patience, time, and some extra clean-up, the benefits of cooking with your child are worth it.
The Benefits of Cooking with Your Children
If you are looking for a new father-daughter or father-son activity, cooking is definitely a great option. Not only will it help you bond more with your children, but it also offers other benefits too!
Fathers 4 Progress, Inc., a reputable fatherhood program in Bronx, New York, lists 5 surprising benefits of cooking with your children.
- Improves CommunicationThe relaxed atmosphere in the kitchen provides parents and children the opportunity to talk and bond. Parents can take advantage of this, particularly with teenagers, as communication is an important element in raising a well-adjusted and healthy child.
- Improves ComprehensionReading and understanding step-by-step instructions, adding ingredients in order, and techniques such as blending and mixing, are all important steps to produce the finished food product. Helping your child improve their reading comprehension skills at the same time is definitely a great thing!
- Enhances Math SkillsCounting ingredients to add (i.e. three spoons of sugar), reading numbers on scales, weighing recipes, doubling a recipe, and recipe fractions like ½ or ¼ cups are just some of the many mathematical skills that can be developed in cooking. Often, children don’t even recognize that they are practicing math!
- Teaches Life SkillsCooking is a life skill, much like learning to read or driving a car. Start the cooking lessons at a young age so that the transition to adult cooking is easier later on.
- A Fun ActivityCooking is fun! Having fun with your children in the kitchen promotes positive family relationships, good memories, and great food.
Parenting is not always easy, but one of the best ways to bond with your child while educating them at the same time is through getting them involved in the kitchen.
If you are looking for a Fatherhood Program in Bronx, New York, contact us.
Leave a Reply